Our Church History
The Goshen Baptist Church was organized August 2, 1837. The first services were held in the home of Rezin Holland on the farm now owned by Robert West. When organized, there were ten Baptists in the vicinity, one of whom was a black woman slave. These ten were the charter members. In the year 1847 the church was built on land the Holland family donated. The bricks were made in kilns across the road and the wooden beams were hand hewn and joined together by wooden pegs. The church building was completed and dedicated to the Glory of God, June 24, 1848.
The church has been in continuous use for worship since that time. In 1945 a terrific windstorm swept through the area and the roof and walls were blown away from the windows up. All was repaired and in 1946 the church was rededicated to the Glory of God.
In 1957 the church was remodeled enlarging the sanctuary, adding Sunday School rooms and a basement.
In 1965, new pews, and altar furniture was added.
In 1972, the sanctuary was remodeled and the beautiful worship center with its three crosses was created.
In 1980, the glass enclosed entry was added.
In 1985, the church was added to again. Additional Sunday School rooms, a large activities room, and a remodeled kitchen area were created.
In 1987, the congregation celebrated the 150th birthday of the church. The day long program was aptly named, “150 years of love.”
In 1994 another addition to the back of the church containing a baptistry, changing rooms, and a pastor’s office/study was built.
An outdoor pavilion was designed by the Board of Trustees and built by the men of the church in the fall of 2000. The pavilion is used for Vacation Bible School, Church picnics, and outreach programs. It is available for use by the community and church members.
A new sound system was installed in the sanctuary as well as oak trim placed around the windows by the Board of Trustees in 2001.
In 2002 a new Yamaha Grand piano was purchased for our sanctuary, making a welcomed addition to our worship service. An early morning worship service was also started. The primary reason for this service was to accommodate the parking and seating needs of the growing congregation.
In 2005 a new propane furnace was installed in the kitchen area of the church. This furnace would heat and cool the sanctuary, the fellowship area and the kitchen.
In October 2008, ground was broken for another addition to the church. The sanctuary was enlarged, additional Sunday School rooms were added, and a larger activities room was created. The Doris Remley Kitchen was also updated and remodeled. Many trees in the back of the church were taken out to provide for additional parking. Three new bathrooms, two having showers, were also added at this time. All bathrooms in the church are handicap accessible.
In July 2010 a new elevator was added to the church, making the entire church handicap accessible.
We pray the Lord will continue to bless and sustain His church here in the “Land of Goshen.”